The Brompton folding bicycle folds in thirds, while most other folding bicycle’s fold in half. Not only does the frame on a Brompton bicycle fold in half like other folding bicycles, but the rear frame triangle folds underneath the bicycle and the handlebars fold down. Folding in thirds and the Brompton’s 16 inch wheels give it a very compact folded size and makes it very easy to carry and transport.
When the Brompton bicycle is unfolded, the rear frame triangle is held in place with a spring loaded latch. The frame and handlebars are held in place using hinge clamps. See pictures below.
To steps to fold a Brompton bicycle are:
1) Release the spring loaded latch and fold the frame underneath the bicycle
2) Unscrew the hinge clamp on the frame and fold the front portion of the frame back and place the Hook on the left front fork over the right chain stay. This requires lifting the bicycle a few inch while the Hook is moved over the chain stay and lowered down.
3) Loosen the seat post and lower it all the way, than tighten the seat post clamp. This will prevent the rear frame triangle from unfolding by causing the Lower Stop Disc to hit against the seat post.
4) Loosen the handlebar hinge clamp and lower the handlebars all the way until the handlebar catch nipple slips into the handlebar catch.
5) Rotate the pedals backwards until the right pedal is resting against the folded front tire.
6) Fold the left pedal.
When the Brompton bicycle is completely folded the seat post and lower stop disc prevents the rear frame triangle from unfolding. The Hook on the left front fork and the rear chain stay prevents the frame from unfolding. The handlebar catch nipple and catch prevents the handlebars from unfolding. The folded Brompton bicycle can easily be carried around by lifting the bicycle by its seat. A folded Brompton bicycle measures approximately 23″ x 22.2″ x 10.6″. The sum of these measurements or the Bromptons folded height, width and depth dimensions is 55.8 inches. This is well below the 62 inch cut off point for checked in luggage by long distances bus companies in the United States like Greyhound and Megabus. The Brompton’s weight is between 20 and 28 pounds depending on how your Brompton is configured, which means its possible to take your Brompton with you next time you ride on Greyhound or Megabus.
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.“